Wednesday, May 7, 2014

rainbow party!

I'm so excited to share Maia's rainbow party with you today!

rainbow party

I always let my kids dream up their own party themes.  Once they settle on something, we type it into Pinterest and see what comes up.  Maia's eyes were bugging out when she saw all of the rainbow treats.  I tried my best to come up with a table that didn't look too busy, but that was still bright and happy for her 4th birthday.

rainbow party


Should we talk about the cake? It's the elephant in the room, isn't it?  I was supposed to make this petal cake with all of the rainbow colors, but on the morning of the party I felt overwhelmed and did some negotiating with the party girl. She'd already seen the layered jellos, so she didn't seem to care about much else.  I sold her on a blue sky and promised a rainbow on top.

rainbow party

The topper is so sweet.  I made the rainbow using circle dies, in the same way that I did for the party invitations.

rainbow party

Am I the only one who has never made a tissue-paper tassle before now?  I made two of each color, my own double rainbow hanging in front of our white backdrop.  In passing, the white backdrop is a diy project that my hubby made a few years ago: a length of beadboard and some moulding to frame the edges.  It costed us a mere 15$ and has served as the backdrop for many a party and photoshoot.

rainbow party


The dessert labels are 2-sided, and dangling by thread.  I grabbed some bbq skewers and stuck them to the top of our backdrop.  The dessert labels hang down and spin like a baby's mobile.  I thought it was the perfect, dreamy touch for a rainbow party.

rainbow party

This plate is rainbow-overload.  Shot glasses with 6 layers of jello pudding (I mixed jello with a bit of vanilla yogurt, but you could go the traditional route and mix it with cool whip for the same effect) and plated them on a bed of rainbow sprinkles.

rainbow party


They were time-consuming, I won't lie, but so worth it.  I love the pretty layers.

rainbow party

The view from on top, another double-rainbow.

rainbow party

I coordinated cupcake liners and flags for a simple, but effective look.

rainbow party

Marlyn worked her cookie magic for us again - when Maia saw all of those sprinkles, she literally squealed.  What kids doesn't like sprinkles?  Her how-to video can be viewed *here.* I've never seen this idea done before, Marlyn is so clever.

I mean, what kid wouldn't love the chance to eat 3 cookies in one? ha.

rainbow party

I can't just buy something at the store and leave it alone. I'm rolling my eyes.  I made little cloud embellishments to go on the front, and used leftover tissue paper to make poms for the tops of the hats.

rainbow party


There's a how-to video on the lawn fawn channel today: click!  Excuse my slight congestion, fact that most of the video is framed weirdly and the yelling you will hear in the background.  I filmed the video within an hour of the party starting.  Once this party was done, I knew I would be done too...

I'd love to know what you think of this party! I crafted it using lawn fawn dies, but no stamps! It felt weird to me, I won't lie, but the rainbow packed all the punch I needed.

rainbow party


I can't believe this little lady is 4. Time flies when you're having fun.

♥.



14 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful party hard to pick a favourite from this year, all turned out amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this party, Elena! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOOW! LOVE everything!!! Simply, perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainbow heaven! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh! love it!! Can you throw me a party JUST like this one day?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Elena.....your Rainbow Party is FABULOUS! Everything looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL....you are so creative and talented! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fabulous! I don't know how you do it! So fun.....I love all the colour! - Anita G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the queen of beautiful party decorations, Awesome job! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the party queen...just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another amazing one, Elena!! Love all the colors, it yells happy!! Your kids are really lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Rainbows!! This is AMAZING!! All of your hardwork really paid off! Looks so fun and festive!!! Glad your daughter gave you a reprieve from making a rainbow frosting layers on the cake!! I can only imagine how frazzled you must have been the day of!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far out.... Any party I see after this will just pale in comparison :)

    ReplyDelete